A PhD student position
A PhD student position is available for 4 years at the Department of Biology and Ecology, Faculty of Science, University of Ostrava, Czech Republic. There are ongoing projects in two different fields: protist genomics or genetic anthropology.
- Genome analysis of the Ket people of Siberia and neighboring populations, for the first time demonstrating their links to ancient and modern Native North Americans.
- Y-STR study of ancient Xiongnu samples from China revealing a possible genetic link of Ket and Xiongnu, and tracing the hypothetical Xiongnu dispersal during the Hunnic migrations. We work mostly in silico, obtaining data from our collaborators.
- Genomics of marine diplonemids, emerging as the third most diverse eukaryotic clade in plankton: transcriptome and genome sequencing of cultivated clade representatives, single-cell transcriptomics, metabarcoding.
- Projects related to software design (in collaboration with Evgeny Gerasimov, Moscow State University): a GUI tool for genome assembly post-processing via contig graph analysis; a read mapper tailored to transcriptomes with extensive insertion/deletion RNA editing.
My group currently includes 1 PhD student and 1 postdoc and has funding secured for 3 years. Starting net salary for a PhD student is approximately 630 EUR. Requirements for the position are the following:
- experience in NGS data analysis or genetics;
- working knowledge of English.
Applications have to be submitted via email until the end of May 2015. Acceptance decision will be based on a skype interview and a test assignment.
Pavel Flegontov, PhD